Saturday, January 30, 2010

Edges

Edges in the landscape.  These man-made “edges”  provide transition between different elevations.

16017_0_4 54178557_93ddc9a905

20394_0_4-1743-contemporary-pool

20400_0_4

21362_0_8-0497-modern-landscape

 

woollahra08 firepit3modernist3

These edges frame a lawn and pools.    Hempel Hotel Garden Modern materials such as steel and concrete allow us to manipulate nature into a desired geometric shape or pattern.  Man over nature.  Question is, have we improved upon it?  I think so.

8 comments:

  1. Even the most man made of landscapes are spooky/ethereal. I wish they'd show people in the landscapes, but I probably say that every time. They look like they want people though they are most often empty. What in a landscape attracts people and makes them comfortable? They curvy steps and terraces are most attractive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first image is wild! I'm with Terry...I think I'm drawn to the curving ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like the edges around that wonderful pool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 2nd photo. A park maybe? Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! I do prefer more natural borders...but these images are definitely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to prefer natural borders to graphic ones. But I have to day that it's beautiful too!

    p.s: I tagged you for a Best Blog Award, the icon is on my blog, please pass it on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tell all my new workers before we start to edge in the spring...it's all about the clean edge!
    GartenGrl

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice post - here's some other edges from my flickr site you might find interesting http://www.flickr.com/photos/markfountain/3113034546/in/set-72157611242455713/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know your thoughts.