Friday, February 6, 2009

Fun Friday

David over at A Photographer's Garden Blog has invited his readers to post a photograph through a window at home. Here are some of mine:

This is a photograph through the large floor to ceiling window at the back wall of my entry hall. There is a Koi Pond there and beyond the pond is a beautiful Japanese Maple tree. That tree has lived at three different homes now. Its first home was adjacent to the Intracoastal Waterway at Hoss Ellington's house. The poor tree was pitiful there and most unhappy. I was hired by the new owners of that house to renovate their garden and convinced them to remove the tree as it just wouldn't flourish in the wind and salt spray. So they gave it to us and we planted it at our home where it flourished into a beautiful tree. When my husband and I left our first house, we couldn't bare to part with the tree, so we had it removed with a tree spade and planted it at the end of the entry hall axis behind the koi pond.



You can't see them, but there are Solieri bells hanging in the limbs of that tree. Here's the same photograph one hour later in the snow! Can you see some of the koi at the bottom of the pond. They aren't so happy in the cold weather.



Now, here is what the tree looks like in summer with my boys in front of it ...



This is a photograph through a large window in my kitchen. Here's the first picture:



... and the second one, with snow, one hour later!



Living in south eastern North Carolina adjacent to the coast, we do not experience snow very often. So when it does come, it's a treat!

9 comments:

  1. You have a koi pond attached to your house? That is sooo cool. You get to enjoy them inside and out. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,

    Wow, wow, wow!

    I love getting to see out your windows.
    Thank you for showing up so generously, and for being willing to add these gifts still, after days having passed.

    What a beautiful corner of the world you live in there.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a fascinating house, but I love that view of the grasses too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words, all! How can any gardener not make the best use of the windows they have in their home to bring the outdoors in?! My husband and I are very fortunate that we could design a home with large windows that keep us connected to the outdoors 24/7. Not only do we get to enjoy the koi, but we also have many, many birds (including Osprey); red foxes, raccoons, deer and even huge snapping turtles. I'll be talking about all of these for the Gardening Gone Wild Design Workshop this month! Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'd like to know what the exterior of your house looks like!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had so much snow this year that we're tired of it....can you believe it?! May get flurries tonight again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house looks gorgeous, cannot wait to see what it looks like in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Landscapes look better with dogs and children!

    I really like the implied gate, the two posts where the path goes through the hedge. I like that low cost detail.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know your thoughts.