Friday, August 21, 2009

Modern Classics for the Masses

Any one who knows furniture will think of these three chairs first when considering the modern classics.

The Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman, Charles and Ray Eames, 1956

 

The Barcelona Chair, Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe, 1920

The LC2 Armchair, Le Corbusier, 1928

 

Now, here is something else to consider.

Who knew that someone would have the brilliant idea to turn these expensive timeless classics into cheap outdoor plastic stackables?

For his final thesis project at the Royal College of Art in London, Design Student Dirk Winkel came up with “A Stacking Hommage” offering a new take on these mid-Century Modern Classics.  By turning the Eames Lounge Chair, the Barcelona Chair and the Corbusier LC2 Chair into lightweight plastic stackables, Winkel has made them affordable to the masses!   We can only hope that one day, these lightweight classics will make their way into the aisles of  Walmart, Target or Ikea and into the hearts of the masses, eventually replacing these beauties, or should I say uglies, across porches and patios everywhere.

This week, I’m hooked on reproducing modern classic furniture into affordable plastic stackables for use outdoors!  To see what others are hooked on, please visit Hooked on Houses’ Friday Blog Party HERE or The Inspired Room’s Beautiful Life Friday HERE

13 comments:

  1. I see colorful plastic Adirondack Chairs at my local hardware store. They make me smile every time I drive by. Great shapes are great whatever the material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these chairs! The Barcelona is my favorite.

    Thanks too for dropping by my blog.

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Cristin! Here are your picks plus a couple of other mid-century classics.

    The Barcelona Chair

    The Le Corbusier Chair

    The Wassily Chair which turned 84 this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the classics, too! I was going to add the Wassily chair, but I see someone beat me to it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have a beautiful blog - I'm gonna stay a while and take a look around!

    ~ (another) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I'd love to have a gorgeous Barcelona chair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, I love your blog, I get here and find something this cool, not found anywhere else. Well this is why you are so brilliant at what you do! How fun are those and I agree, it would be so great to see those in the big box stores!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are just too cool for school! Although I dunno if I would trust the Aemes chair (cause you need to keed adding the base after stacking.

    Loving this as a thesis though!

    My old roomate hada wassilly. Loved it! It would be cool in plastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment. I'll be the first in line for outdoor furniture this cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending everyone over to see this great post!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love 'em!!! What a great idea!! Although I wonder how comfortable the LC2 is.... but it does look cool!!

    Thanks so much for your comment with the helpful tips on our post about decks :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Greetings. This post is really good and blog is really interesting. It gives good details.
    Modern & Classic Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear sir,
    Kindly let us know the manufacturers of Plastic chairs in your area so that we can contact them, as we can offer the raw materials that can be used for the manufacturing the Plastic chairs.
    for oue more details please log on to www.polylinkpolymers.com

    Thanks,
    Anshul tiwari
    Polylink Polymers India Ltd
    India

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know your thoughts.